Friday, November 14, 2008

This is NOT another Great Depression

So I spend too much time each night looking at datapoints/articles, etc. I am always looking for interesting facts/figures that I find intriguing that might give me an edge in investing. Additionally, I like to be KNOWLEDGEABLE about a wide array of topics. Kind of MichaelAngelo type except without ANY artistic capabilities :)

I am not an economic forecaster but here is why, despite NO comparable datapoints since 1929, this will NOT be another great depression.

* The level of government intervention in the current financial crisis is completely unprecedented. Last time this happened the government INCREASED taxes, the Federal Reserve did nothing and banks were ALREADY belly up. Oversight of the stock market was NON-EXISTENT.

* There is a coordinated multinational approach to this economic history like none in modern or prior history that I can find. At least not on this scale, in value terms or percentage terms. Please let me know if you find anything comparable.

So, there you have it folks. I don't have solutions but I do have some observations. I'll post some interesting, "pick me upper" quotes for everyone this weekend. How about that? Hopefully by then everyone hasn't put a shotgun to their head due to depression about reading this blog ;)

Dan Ross
http://www.BetterBizBooks.com

No comments: